UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES MANILA
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leadership in Nursing Development
Sheila R. Bonito
Josefina A. Tuazon
Peter James B. Abad
Arnold B. Peralta
Josephine E. Cariaso
Luz Barbara P. Dones
TERMS OF REFERENCE
ANNUAL REPORT 2019
The Center is involved in four major activities as part of its terms of reference. The first is the survey on the status of interprofessional education in the Western Pacific Region. The data collection is on-going on select nursing education institutions in the Philippines and to nursing and midwifery schools in the Western Pacific and through existing collaborations of the Center through the South East and East Asia Nursing Education and Research Network. Ethical clearance for the conduct of the survey has been secured by the Ethics Board of the University of the Philippines Manila.
Secondly, the Center will also co-organize a capacity-building workshop on interprofessional education on 25-26 May 2019. Aside from local participants from the Philippines, target participants also include representatives from Mekong countries specifically Lao PDR, Myanmar, Viet Nam, and Cambodia. Experts from Gunma University WHO CC on Research and Training on IPE are also invited to the workshop.
Thirdly, the Center is also coming out with a publication on case studies on the roles of nurses in the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases. Springer International has initially approved the book proposal. The invitation for contribution has been sent out to potential authors from the Western Pacific Region. The target is to publish the case studies by end of 2019.
Fourthly, the Center is developing a diploma/masters program in Public Health Nursing for international offering, initially with Cambodian nurses. This is an offshoot of the Cambodia Nurse Bridging Program that the Center led in 2012-2014 that provided technical assistance to Cambodia in upgrading the associate degree in nursing to a baccalaureate degree in nursing. The Memorandum of Understanding has already been signed by the University of the Philippines Manila and will be signed by the Cambodian counterpart during the Center
s visit to Cambodia on 29-30 April 2019.
Other activities of the Center outside of the terms of reference include the following:
- The Center collaborated with Yonsei University WHO CC for the research entitled “Nurses in Advanced Roles in the Western Pacific”
- The Center collaborated with Tokyo Medical and Dental University for the research entitled “Workforce development aimed at providing quality health and social care services for older adults in ASEAN countries through inter-professional training towards acceleration of universal health coverage”
- The Center collaborated with Fudan University on the study, “Capacity building for Primary Health Care” through the Southeast and East Asia Nursing Education and Research Network
- Through an agreement of performance of work with WHO Philippines, the Center conducted a training on patient safety for hospitals in Cebu City last 16 March 2019.
- Through an agreement of performance of work with WHO Western Pacific Regional Office on the development of training program for primary health care workers using the WHO NCD Education Manila, and an update of the Urbani School Health Kit materials.
- The Center hosted training programs on Patient Safety among hospital workers in the Philippines in July 2018 and March 2019.
- The Center also co-organized the 2nd Conference on Patient Safety held last 28-29 March 2019.
The Center is also designated as Commission on Higher Education Center of Excellence in Nursing Education. In this capacity, the Center is leading the training of nursing schools and hospitals on the 2012 National Nursing Core Competency Standards. There are five sites for the training all over the country. The first site was done last February 2019 in the Visayas. Next sites would be in the National Capital Region, Mindanao, Bicol Region, and Northern Luzon.